What a wonderful way to celebrate and support both live music and local culture!
Sonnenberg Station Men's Ensemble will perform at the Old Sonnenberg Church at Sonnenberg Village in Kidron on Saturday, March 28 at 7pm with a concert and fundraiser for the Kidron Community Historical Society.
The Sonnenberg Church was the first church in the Kidron-Sonnenberg area. After the local Mennonites outgrew two smaller church buildings, this building was built in 1907, costing a total of $5,591.36. Dedication services were held all day on Sunday, September 29, 1907. The activities included sermons in both German and English with a lot of singing mixed in. It was and still is one of the best acoustic buildings to sing in. A large group in attendance witnessed the formal opening of the largest Mennonite church building in this part of Ohio.
If only the walls of this big, beautiful church could talk. They were a witness to so many joys and sorrows of the people of this area. During the 82 years of services, three main churches--Salem, Kidron and Bethel--and a number of home churches originated from this congregation.
This building was used by the Sonnenberg congregation until 1989 when a new, modern structure was built across the road that is still in use today. The present congregation unanimously voted to donate this historic building to the Kidron Historical Society to preserve not only its wonderful structure but all the memories that go with it.
The concert is free of charge, but a love offering will be taken to support the Kidron Community Historical Society.